Thank you for your interest in participating in the GirlsBuild Challenge. GirlsBuild is an initiative of LA Promise Fund that empowers teams of young women in middle and high school to identify the issues they see as most significant in their community and take actions to address them.
This application is a chance to share why your team of students should participate in GirlsBuild. It is also a chance to showcase what your team plans to translate into a dynamic project - don’t be afraid to show some personality and be creative! There is additional guidance in the application and on our website.
WHAT IS NEEDED TO APPLY?
1. Team of Girls
- All students need to be from the same public school (ask if you need an exception)
- At least 6 females or students who identify as female in 6th through 12th grade
- A common vision to create a sustainable project with lasting community impact
- Students who have participated in a GirlsBuild challenge in the past are welcome to join again
2. Site Coordinator (teacher and/or admin at the school) who is the main point of contact for LA Promise Fund. This person is expected to work the entire school year and will receive a $1200 stipend. It is possible to split the stipend and have two coordinators.
Site Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Recruit students/team members
- Find time and space (whether in-person or virtual) to hold meetings with the team
- Coordinate and lead logistics/planning from the school side
- Be the liaison between the school and LA Promise Fund
- Manage and facilitate spending of the budget
3. PROJECT IDEA
The project must have a clear idea of the issue you want to address, and why it is important. The issue must address one of the key impact areas below:
- Civic Engagement
- Health & Wellness
- Education: STEM & College Access
All successful projects actively incorporate elements of civic engagement either through service, representation, or advocacy. Check here to learn more.
4. Introduction Video OR Slideshow
- In no longer than 3 minutes, submit a video introducing the school, the team, and an overview of your project idea.
- OR, submit a slideshow doing the same thing. We highly recommend using Google Slides.
- Turn in through a YouTube or Google Drive link (instructions inside the application).
If Selected to be a GirlsBuild Funded Team:
- Teams will need access to a computer and the Internet during the year, especially during virtual instruction. As a key component of the project, teams will build a website, social media campaign and videos to execute a virtual advocacy campaign and create a digital footprint of the project (we will supply training, tutorials, and resources to make this happen, no prior experience necessary).
- Each participating team will receive $1000 to design and implement a solution addressing an important challenge you have identified.
- Teams and their site coordinators must comply with project deadlines (see below).
For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, please go to http://www.girls-build.org
Thank you for your interest in participating in LA Promise Fund’s The Intern Project Spring Virtual Career Exploration for SLATE-Z/ South LA students! The application is a general written application that asks for demographic information, your interests & why, and for personal responses.
Please refer to our website for more information about the program: theinternproject.org
We highly recommend you write your application draft on a Google document so you can edit and save it before you submit your finalized application.
Questions/technical issues: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
**NOTE: IT IS RECOMMENDED TO AVOID USING INTERNET EXPLORER WHEN ACCESSING SUBMITTABLE.**